Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Valentine –lets celebrate LOVE


We do know that February is the month of romance and love but there are people who are of the view that valentine is a foreign culture and it is out of sheer madness that the Bhutanese youth embrace such tradition. Valentine is and always been especial to me not because it’s a day to celebrate love (that could be one of the reason though) but because I made my grand entrance on this day. I always love hearing mom narrate about my first cry in the early wee hours in Gelephu hospital (that’s another story)
Coming back to Valentine’s Day, the history of Valentine’s Day and the story of its patron saint valentine is shrouded in mystery but the most commonly believed notion is that valentine is a day to commemorate the anniversary of valentine’s death or burial. And records show that 150 million valentine cards are exchanged annually which makes the day second most popular event after Christmas. its a relieving thought that LOVE still rules the world:)isn't it?
Anyway I am sure you won’t be interested to know about the history or the legend of the day so let me not elaborate on that any further. So valentine day as I was saying is special to me in its own way. It’s my born day but coming to birthdays I now dread it for it means age is catching up fast, a day also to remind ourselves that your existence on this beautiful mother earth is numbered. It was a different story as a child though. How anxiously we would wait for this day to cut cakes and receive presents, sing and dance...Oh! The beauty of those bygone innocent days!
Coming to the celebration of love, this time I am hoping Mr. Cupid will excuse me, his favorite love child from his fixture but I am hoping to celebrate it in my own modest way without his help. And anyway somebody told me that you don’t have to necessitate a day to celebrate love, if love is in attendance, each day is an occasion to rejoice it. Happy valentine’s day!

No comments:

Post a Comment